Monday, April 27, 2009

Back on Blog: Back from Paris


I just returned from an exhausting charabanc trip (two days travel, one day there) to Paris. It was in reality, a sib-bonding exercise for me and my sister.

She liked Paris and especially Notre-Dame. But did not feel up to visiting any museum.

I should say that my sister, who is no historian nor intellectual, did lead me to look at the polychrome scenes from the passion and life of Christ in the ambulatory around the altar in a way I have never looked at them before.

Also, I suppose I leached on her wonder as we sat in the nave and "observed" mass. She had never really bothered to sit down in the nave of a medieval Cathedral before. I felt again, through here, the sheer stunning perfection of Notre Dame.

Other people on the charabanc declared that Paris was "boring" and "too cold".

Oy. Vey.

No comments: