Sunday, June 07, 2009

Are you still going to mass?

I always identify as a Catholic, but sometimes have found it very very hard to go to mass. The local Catholic parish moved into a new church building last week - St. Mary and St. Philip Neri, Radcliffe - last week, so I made an effort to go.

This is a very traditional working class area of England, and the Church used piped organ music, but the priest (a young man to whom I have not yet spoken) is clearly living his life in service of his flock, preached a short but rational sermon (on the Trinity as mystery), and I received communion.

For the first time in months, I felt at home again with God. It's weird, every single time I receive communion I feel a direct soul connection with God that I know many good Catholics seek and yet do not feel at that moment. I always do, and always have. It's as clear a manifestation as grace as I could ask for. Yet still I don't go each week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Catholic Church teaches that you are obliged to go to Mass every Sunday and on Holydays of Obligation.
Perhaps the reason that you do not go every week is that you are still an angry and bigoted man in your attitude towards pro-lifers and Conservatives. Perhaps it is your conscience telling you some thing about your attitude. Your misinformation about St Philomena is shocking.

Paul Halsall said...

St. Philomena never existed. This has been known for a long time. I assume God just kind of harvests the prayers calling on her and deals with them himself.