Friday, March 27, 2009

Religion on British TV


Ruth Gledhill - Times Online - WBLG: Round-the-clock condom ads on British TV

I subscribe to Virgin cable and so the only religious channel is the GOD Channel, an American Import.

I have no idea how it stays on the air since it reflects the religious life of very few people in the UK, and moreover is viciously homophobic. I suppose the only reason people don't complain about it is that no one watches it.

As far as I can tell dispensationalist millennialism is a very minor interest here.

EWTN on Sky TV is *very slightly* better, and is good on things like reporting papal visits.

Still it would nice to have a kind of British religion channel - I suppose it would be like a 24 hour mix of Songs of Praise, Big Questions, some documentaries by Paul Malone, and old Joan Bakewell programs.

Hey, I would watch it.

No comments: