Friday, April 10, 2009

The Cannabis Closet

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

Andrew has been posting a great series of post in which his readers come out of the "Cannabis Closet." Some have been moving, a few scary. I find this the funniest so far.


I'm in my mid twenties, and a PhD student at the Ivy League university located in the hippie town of Ithaca, New York. When I came to the United States a little over three years ago -- I was born and raised in the Netherlands -- I had never tried smoking weed, despite it being readily available. American friends of mine (fellow graduate students) introduced me to it and thought it was hilarious they were teaching the Dutch girl how to use a bong -- the same Dutch girl who used to ask tourists looking for the nearest coffee shop, 'Do you want a cup of coffee or a joint?'

It is weird not being able to talk to many people about weed, especially in a liberal town like Ithaca, for fear of risking my chances of ever getting American citizenship, or being send back to Pot Heaven Holland.


I hope for her sake there are lots of female Dutch Ph.D. students at Cornell!

No comments: