Wednesday, July 12, 2006

To be Free, Celebrate

From Andrew Sullivan

if you're a gay person who hasn't talked to a co-worker or family member about why marriage matters, then you're not part of this movement. Stop relying on judges or political lobbies - and fight the fight yourself: person by person, again and again and again. Never duck an opportunity to engage; never let a dumb argument go unchallenged; never be intimidated by those wanting you to be silent or talk about something else. In the immortal words of Quentin Crisp:


It is not the simple statement of facts that ushers in freedom; it is the constant repetition of them that has this liberating effect. Tolerance is the result not of enlightenment, but of boredom.


By the way, I am not interested in the acceptance or toleration of gay people. I am interested in celebrating us.

Many of you who read this are my friends, do you really I would be better if I where straight? God, I may be a bad gay person, but I would be such an asshole as a straight person.

No comments: