Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Line of Beauty, Episode One

It's OK for you guys in England, but this BBC serialization of Alan Hollinghurst's The Line of Beauty has become an obsession with me. It's just not available in the US, and I have learnt more about Internet downloading that I ever thought I would have to know. [hint: emule].

Forget Brokeback Mountain: as a working class kid from Manchester who went to University, being a sheep herder in Montana was never on my radar. I did however apply to Oxford, went to Edinburgh (and Oxbridge rejects schoool), and lived in London 1984-1987.

Hollinghurst's book (which won the Booker prize) is to literature what BB Mountain is to film: the Breakthrough. For God's sake, buy the bloody book. It's as beautifully written as anything since Austen (ignore all the Henry James stuff).

The BBC version is almost impossible to get here [hint: emule ], but it is radiant. Comparison: the first two episodes of Brideshead Revisited.

SHEER PLEASURE

No comments: