Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Saints


Response to this

This initially seemed to me a lousy article. I am HIV+ and I once snorted enough coke you would not believe it. I even tried Meth (but did not like it).

Nothing I did would justify me being hanged out to die on a fence in Wyoming.

I do (after rereading several times) see the point of the article. Yes yes Jesus has a penis and pee'd, etc.

But we need our saints.

I recall the Matt Shepherd incident very well, and in fact went on the NYC March on the subject (where I had to convince my dearest friend N. that it was not a good time to test out Gandhi's theory that police horses would not trample you).

But I also (used to) write about saints and sainthood. I think we need our saints and I don't think there is much good from pulling them down. [Lots of people hate Dr. Martin Luther King - there is no reason to do on and on that he was a Ph.D plagiarist; ditto there is no need to go on and on about Harvey Milk liking fisting - that's not the point of saints.]

Saints do seem to become less human as they are deified, but that is not really true. Take the example of Mozart: we all know that he was a dirty mouthed kid, but in his music he touched God..

Saints are people who are touched in some aspect or for some moment in their life by God. And by God I mean here a profundity beyond the norm.

I'll try to write more on this: the basic point is that saints are "holy" not "good". Perhaps that is just a Catholic thing.

PS. As to obsessing on Jesus' Penis or Urine or Shit (I though capitals were appropriate for the Divine). Sure he did all those, but obsessing on it is a kind of transitional OCD. Many (usually) male children go through a period when they cannot get the thought of sex with their mother out of their mind. Some Gay male Christians cannot get the idea of blowing Jesus out of their minds.

The solution to these thoughts, in both cases, is not to worry. They will go away. Your Mum will still love you, and so will Jesus.

If you obsess too much, just give thanks Jesus was circumcised.

1 comment:

Travis said...

The whole discussion on whether Jesus whizzed or went poo or not is part of the reason why I don't consider myself a christian. It's only a little reason. I do get what you're saying about Holy not being the same as good. You only have to read I and II Samuel in the Bible about David to realize that.

I do have issues regarding the need for saints. To my understanding, the belief in saints changes the Christian religion from a monotheism to a monolatry. Christopher Hitchens has written that it makes Christianity polytheistic (I disagree with that).

It is unfortunate that Matt Shepard is not the only example of martyrdom due to hatred to gays. Being that I am not from a minority group or any group that has a history of being victimized, I do not appreciate the importance of having a saint-like person to look to for strength. So in that regards, I am ignorant.

I'm sorry to hear that you are HIV positive. I don't know if that was a recent occurance or that you had it for years, but I hope that your health is able to stay strong. Being that I'm currently have disease issues myself, I hope that you are getting the medical help that you are needing.

I am also glad that you are blogging again. I know that it's been a while since your return to the blogosphere, but I've been sort of "off-the-grid" so I haven't been exploring the net like I used too. I really enjoy reading your posts.